A visit of Bari means that you get to know Puglia’s capital, one of Southern Italy’s most important cities. Tours are provided in English by local guides. The monuments in its historical city center tell the visitor a lot about its history. There are still traces to be seen from Bari’s days as a Byzantine stronghold. Then the Normans, Swabians, Angevins and Aragonese that have followed all left their own traces that remind us of their cultures and civilizations. With Puglia Private Tour’s customized guided tours you can explore Bari and discover its history, culture and local traditions. Bari’s old town has retained its medieval plan and its port is still one of the most important commercial and touristic ports for travellers and commercial deliveries to the Orient. Not only its history, art and culture make this beautiful city so special, but also its traditional shops, bars, restaurants and local delicacies attract visitors from all over the world. People in Bari tend not to get bored, it has a hip nightlife and it is a nice city for those who like Italian fashion as well. Fancy shops line the street Via Sparano that intersects Corso Vittorio Emanuele II and leads to Bari’s old town, called Bari Vecchia in Italian.
Sights in Bari:
- Basilica di San Nicola
- Castello Svevo
- The Apulian Romanesque cathedral, Bari’s Duomo
- Pinacoteca Provinciale displaying paintings by Veronese, Tintoretto, Bellini and Francesco Netti, Bari’s most acclaimed Impressionist artist.
- Bari’s Castle Castello Svevo
Bari offers Puglia’s delicious cuisine. Ear-shaped pasta called orecchiette and seafood (such as fried calamari) are among the local delicacies. There is a vegetable market close to the port.
Bari’s Patron Feast celebrating the arrival of the ones of Saint Nicholas in Bari is celebrated from May 7th to May 9th and also on December 6th.
Our tours to Bari
- Photography workshop (Salent) With Tonino Mosconi, freelance Photographer
- One week Yoga Retreat Itria Valley
- Easter vacation in Puglia: Holy Week and Sacred Day in Puglia
- What to visit in Puglia: tour 7 wonders in 7 days
- Wildlife tour in Puglia: Puglia’s nature, stunning views
- Tour along the Puglia’s Ionian Coast to discover the hidden treasures
- Foodie tour to Manduria, the heart of the Primitivo wine
- Foodie tour Itria Valley
- Alberobello, Matera & Castel del Monte: Unesco sites tour
- Castel del Monte, Trani and Matera: Saints, Chevalliers & Emperors